10 Common Side Effects of Hair Transplantation
Hair Transplantation – It is a surgical process in which the doctors remove the hair follicles from a donor site and implant them at the balding area of the scalp which is known as recipient site. The doctor makes sure to use the local anaesthetic before the procedure and also provide aftercare instructions such as prescribed medication for pain, inflammation, and possible infection. In most of the cases, the hair regrowth within 6-9 months, but there are some of the side effects that affect the patients afterwards, therefore it is important to be aware of them such as follows:
- Bleeding – Well, it is very rare but persistent bleeding is a possible side effect of the hair transplantation procedure. Though some bleeding is expected by the doctor and it is not dangerous and it can be easily stopped with simple pressure, persistent bleeding and additional stitching.
- Infection – There are chances of infection, but thankfully it can be easily avoided by consuming the antibiotics. And such cases are one in thousands, so one need not worry, however, it is one of the side effects, therefore, it is being mentioned here.
- Temporary Thinning – Temporary thinning is one of the common side effects of hair transplantation. It is common that the implanted hair fall after some time of surgery, however, they grow back again, but it is also possible that the natural hairs can also start falling after the hair transplant. Though the fall will not be continuous, they will return after a few months.
- Itching – Itching is common side effect which is experienced by the patients. This side effect can become severe for some people, if not addressed properly. It can be occur due to some formation of scabs and regular shampooing. In this case, the patient must consult the dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon immediately to get rid of it before it get worse. The doctors may suggest some special moisturising oils that help treat this issue.
- Scarring – Scarring is itself a side effect, so if you are prone to scare then you need to worry about it because patients who are predisposed to the problem and is more likely to occur in individuals who opt for strip plantations. In such patients, keloid scarring occurs which causes by the ridging effect.
- Cysts – If the hair follicles damage the skin and get deep into the layers, then cysts occur. Cysts are generally in size of a pimple and seem as a lump that is mostly benign. However, it is important to not to take cysts lightly because of the delay in identifying and rectifying will cause a big trouble for people. Though in most cases, cysts disappear, but if you are one of them who are facing such problem then, make sure to get it diagnosed with your doctor.
- Hiccups – It is one of the common side effects of hair transplantation. Once the procedure completes, such allergy occurs. It has seen that 5 in 100 patients are affected by hiccups after the procedure. It an last from several hours to days as well. It is mostly seen with the patients who are more often affected with scalp reduction.
- Pain – Pain is one of the common side effects. However, with certain medication, it can be easily treated. The doctor provides prescribed and effective painkillers to get rid of such pain. The pain is temporary and eventually goes away one the scalp starts to heal.
- Swelling – Swelling is also a very rare side effect and it occurs at the forehead and around the area of eyes. It can last within two days of surgery. Along with the swelling, some darkness is also seen which develop around the eyes.
- Numbness – After the procedure, Numbness is inevitable. It usually occurs in the donor area and it lasts for approx. 18 weeks. If it doesn’t go away even after 18 weeks, then you must consult the doctor because then it becomes the matter of concern.
If you are one of those people who is facing some problems, they must consult their doctor and let him/her know about the same, they will provide the effective medicine or certain precautions to be taken to get rid of such problems. Hair transplantation is one of the slowest surgery to avoid the trouble for the patients, however, if such problem occurs then it is not the problem of the doctor, you need to consult them after the surgery to resolve it timely.